Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: SSH attacks?

From: "M Shirk" <shirkdog_linux () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:16:52 -0400

There are couple things that come to mind about this activity:

1. This is incredibly noisy and sloppy. http://isc.incidents.org has already posted an analysis of a root comprised box in which it appeared to be someone with not alot of skill due to typos and the commands used to install the rootkit. Also, the only reason it was exploited was because someone had a BLANK ROOT PASSWORD (grins).

2. Do these attackers even know that this activity has been discovered, and that admins are on the alert? This ssh activity has been discussed for a number of days now. If they are really l33t, they will also be reading this very mailing list. (however, the evidence presented here and at the ISC points to the fact that they are more then likely script kiddies)

3. Just as one of the postings here said, the admin was upset they did not try to logon as root. I can not ever remember having a default guest or test account on a unix system. It would be interesting if these attacks were profiled against a single compromised host, and that profile used as an attack signature for everyone else on the Internet.

If possible, change your SSHD port as discussed in which you will avoid any of these types of scans.

Shirkdog
http://www.shirkdog.us