Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New variant of Virus ?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:20:09 +1300

Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu> to Hubbard, Dan:

It looks like there maybe a new variant of the virus MyDoom worm. We
have seen the following:

RE: I still love you  fLctv

Error 551: We are sorry your UTF-8 encoding is not supported by the
server, so the text was automatically zipped and attached to this
message.
<<snip>>
We've seen several of these here since yesterday. I submitted
it last night and was told third-hand that the following Sophos
definition was created for it:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojstawina.html

Yes.

It seems this was distributed widely via spam about 24-36 hours ago
(maybe more??).  It is _not_ a self-mailer although it does contain
SMTP code.  It is a keylogger that looks for windows by name
(specifically the names of various bank and financial sites) and
captures keystrokes directed to those windows.  It then mails off the
keystroke logs...

Various AVs have named it various things:

   Stawin.A
   PSW.Keylog.E
   TrojanSpy.Win32.Keylogger.aa
   Trojan.Spy.Keylogger.AA