Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Reverse http traffic

From: "Just1n T1mberlake" <hotpackets () hellokitty com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 10:31:17 +0800

Hi James, all,

Daniel H. Renner wrote Tuesday, December 30, 2003 6:09 PM

I checked the firewall logs and saw quite a few attempts from
a Google IP address (whois-ed, but I'm not ignoring that it
was possibly spoofed) that was sending IN traffic with a
source port of 80 and a destination port in the temporary
range (33xx) - eh???

I think that this is worthy of investigation just in and of itself. The type of traffic you describe is highly
irregular.

Which firewall logs and what time frame? The Linksys before the
switchout,
the Linux-based firewall after the switchout, or something else?

My appologies, since I never considered the Linksys/DLink/etc. routers
to be firewalls I've not addressed them as such - but I see others do
(remind self that other's terminologies must be used when talking to
them... :)

Linksys calls it a firewall feature, and it has logs - but not everyone
agrees to call it that. Thanks for clarifying.

I have often found that these features can produce other interesting anomalies in your network analysis. It can often
pose an interesting conundrum when analysing traces from multiple locations.

The firewall in question is an IPCop machine (this is a fork of the
Smoothwall firewall project - www.ipcop.org) with no DHCP server,
port-forwarding or HTTP proxy running - just a plain brown box...  The
incomings I saw were within approx. a 1-minute timeframe.

Unfortunately I am still enough of a Linux newbie that I have not
figured out how to add a sniffer into IPCop (I could install ntop
though...) but according to the firewall logs the traffic was pointed to
the external NIC on the IPCop computer specifically which is the only
public IP address on the LAN.  All others are behind the IPCop's
internal/private IP addressed NIC, and there is no DMZ NIC on the
system, nor is it setup software-wise for one at the moment.

Also, all 6 updates of IPCop had been performed on the machine before
installation.

If what could cause this sort of traffic is "mostly benign" then I'll
have my goose-pimples set to "chill" - if not, then I'm still in "Eh?"
mode...

I can understand your stance. In this time of constant global issues it is reasonable to be interested to investigate
even what seems to be benign to most of us.
It may be worthy to spend some time looking into other analysis tools, such as network visualisation aids etc.

It's probably best to stay in investigative mode and learn some more about
the traffic before judging either way. Check outbound logs to see if there
is any traffic that is obviously related to your mystery traffic by time or
address. Sniff full packets with tethereal or ntop or whatever from a
trusted machine. Obfuscate your IP address in a text copy of the packets
that concern you and post a few to the list. Check open ports on the suspect
PC with nMap or another scanner from a trusted box, and run FPort or TCPView
on the suspect machine itself to identify processes that have opened ports.
Delete or obfuscate information you do not wish to share, and post the
remainder to the list.

Yes this is valuable information and has served me well in the past.

You could also Google the IP address that is the source of your unexplained
traffic to see if anyone else might have posted comments about it, and look
it up at http://www.dshield.org/ipinfo.php to see if other people have
reported problems from that IP. The packets themselves may contain Googlable
information - see if there is something in common between the packets other
than source and destination.

Sometimes it may not be just the packet contents themselves that is interesting. Maybe the packets and their arrival on
the network signifies more than a mere Googling can provide.
Just some food for thought!

just1n

--
Get your own Hello Kitty email @ www.sanriotown.com