Security Incidents mailing list archives

FW: Nmap - 3.50 changes mstask.exe?

From: "Dr0idb0y" <dr0idb0y () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:38:58 -0800

Seems you have at least two issues here.  First, a manager who is looking to
blame you for this incident.  I'm always amazed at what nmap scanning gets
blamed for. It's easy enough to solve this though.  Set up two machines in
isolation, and use your version of nmap to scan it.  Voila!  Either mstask
changed or it didn't. It might be a good idea to set up a sniffer as well,
to really prove the point.  Make sure your manager is present when this
happens.

Second, you need to find out what actually did change mstask (assuming it
did actually change).  Might be a little tougher.  How many trojans/rootkits
/virii and patches do this?

Good luck!