Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: UDP Port Sweep question

From: Kyle Maxwell <krmaxwell () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:44:16 -0600

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:31:14 -0000 (GMT), Billy Dodson
<CraftedPacket () securitynerds org> wrote:
I monitor 3 different sensors which are continuously pounded with network
reconnaissance of all types.  These sensors all belong to financial
institutions.  One thing that jumped out at me are "UDP Port Sweeps"
events from about 15 different IP addresses which all belong to either IBM
or Sequent (which was bought by IBM). I see these same IP addresses doing
the same thing on all three sensors.  I have contacted the clients and
they do not deal with IBM or Sequent in any way. Are there legitimate type
traffic
that would cause these events to fire?  It is odd to me that I see them on
all 3 sensors for 3 different companies but all happen to be in the
financial industry. Thanks in advance for your input.

My first thought would be that they may have some sort of internal
application or appliance that talks to IBM in some way. What ports are
involved (destination and source)? Is it possibly DNS traffic? Are the
network numbers similar in any way to your clients (ie someone has a
typo somewhere)?

--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell () gmail com]