Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange command histories in hacked shell server

From: Jim Halfpenny <jim () openanswers co uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:52:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

sshd             -F      tsgan            __         0.02 secs Tue Dec 14 00:27
sh               -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.02 secs Tue Dec 14 00:27
cat              -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.00 secs Tue Dec 14 00:28
su               -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.00 secs Tue Dec 14 00:28
sleep            -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.00 secs Tue Dec 14 00:27
^^^^^^
stty             -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.00 secs Tue Dec 14 00:27
stty             -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.00 secs Tue Dec 14 00:27
^^^^^^
fortune          -       tsgan            ttyp0      0.00 secs Tue Dec 14 00:27

I don't quite understand why he used sleep and stty commands in above.
My suspect is tty hijacking. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My suspect is that your .login contains a 'fortune', an 'stty' or two, and a 'sleep',
and those happened at login - the first *real* command actually issued was
probably a 'su -c cat something', after which the person logged out, causing the
login 'sh' and 'sshd' to exit.

I'd suggest a trojan was executed which contained commands used to
steal passwords. The real login prompt was followed by a short pause
(sleep), stty was used to turn of echoing stdin (stty -echo) a false
password prompt displayed and the output captured to a file or sent to the
intruder in some other fashion. The second stty restored echoing of stdin.

My guess is a trojan .login/.profile that prompted a second time for a
password after a successful login and then executed the remaining commands
e.g. /usr/bin/fortune. Do you remember typing you password in twice,
thinking you'd made a typo the first time?

Regards,
Jim Halfpenny