Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd addresses on my wireless network

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:32:25 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:11:29 PST, David Gillett said:

  I help run a multicampus network of about 6000 nodes, with a very
healthy set of DNS servers thank you very much.  It's annoying, to
say the least, when clueless users start spewing multicast all over
it because Apple said it was okay to do that, and I'm extremely
disappointed by the implication that the IETF is blessing this.

The fact that the IETF blessed a protocol for use in one environment and then
idiots try to use it for other things is not news.

Witness the fact that by some estimates, 98% of the traffic at the root name
servers is due to queries from sites that can't do the DNS protocol correctly
(for starters, some 30% have source addresses in rfc1918 space that leak out).

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0310/wessels.html
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0202/evi.html

I'm not sure what the IETF can do other than try to urge the production of more
rfc1925-compliant liveware.  Suggestions that network issues could be cured by
the application of chlorine to the gene pool are routinely rejected as an
operational issue not a protocol issue.. ;)