Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH attacks?

From: "alann lopes" <alann () ucsd edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:21:18 -0700

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:16:52 EDT, M Shirk said:

If possible, change your SSHD port as
discussed in which you will avoid any
of these types of scans.

On Fri, July 30, 2004 1:51 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks said:

Or even better, use iptables/ipf/whatever to
restrict what hosts can connect, if you can.  If
you know that a connection should only be from
within the subnet, throw in a ruleset to allow
that, and then a deny for everybody else.

I agree with Valdis... I've found this methodology
very useful over the years.  And to deal with
clients from dynamic IPs, about 5 years ago
I wrote a few scripts and a web interface
that allows these remote users to register
their dynamic IPs by authenticating themselves
against a pop server using APOP.  The web
connection is SSLed. It has worked extremely
well for years for both myself and a few other
folks here on campus.

cheers,

alann