Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Re: AIM Password theft]

From: Mark Coleman <markc () uniontown com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:27:41 -0400

This issue has been confirmed via a telephone conversation with an anonymous party who saw my email to the list. This was a person involved with one of the systems/services remotely involved, and was very credible and knowledgeable. This appears to be an exploit that is live in the wild.

This is an exploit that apparently abuses an IE vulnerability to pull usernames/passwords from the registry, where I guess it then uses the newly obtained buddy list to attempt to "spread" by sending a link to itself to the buddies. Any who click on the link are also "infected" (for lack of a better word).

I haven't visited this MS link yet, but this is a link that supposedly describes the problem according to the tech I spoke with:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/overview/htaoverview.asp

The exploit itself is not new, but the delivery mechanism to steal an AIM account to deliver the link is (from what I understand).

For the list's reference, the sequence of events I have so far is as follows:

An AIM user received this email message (including headers) to the account registered with their AIM (username hidden):