Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New Rootkit?

From: Russell Harding <hardingr () cunap com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:53:41 -0600 (MDT)

I agree.

  This has been my experice with SucKIT as well.  I had some machines
compromised before I arrived at my current place of employment, and got a
chance to take a look at the machines.

Often, many rootkits can be easily modified to avoid chkrootkit,
espeically as it is an open source tool, and the de facto standard for
initial forensic analysis.  Any system intruder can simply check what the
current version of chkrootkit does and quickly modify the source.

However, what many rootkits of various types have in common is hiding
processes and directories, which with the linux proc filesystem are one in
the same.  Make sure to use chkproc and chkdirs whenever you are using
chkrootkit.

    -Russell