Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange windows behaviour.

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:13:09 -0400

J Mike Rollins wrote:
I have just tested the ideas expressed here and have to report that
streams can still be a threat.

When I try to make a copy of the dll stored within the stream, the virus
scanning software does find it.

However, when I run the contents of the dll stream by using rundll32 the
program is not caught by the virus scanning software.  And the trojan
continues to execute undetected.

All I see is spam starting to spew from an otherwise quiet machine (most cases) although we have also had two cases of machines spoofing source addresses and attacking (a) an IRC server and (b) somebody's identd.

This is happening here and I have one machine under quarantine in the testbed. Symantec NAV latest DATs doesn't detect anything. Spybot latest signatures doesn't detect anything. Ad-Aware doesn't find anything. McAfee's freebie Stinger doesn't find anything. Yet if it is connected to the network when it boots, some process comes up, makes a few connection attempts to remote addresses, port 80; then it opens up two random high-numbered TCP ports and listens. Telnetting to them and entering much of anything causes it to close the connection and respawn.

In ActivePorts it lists the owning process name as the same as some other existant process in the list (e.g., explorer.exe, svchost.exe) but will have a unique PID in the task list. Using ActivePort's terminate process feature on it causes the two sockets to disappear, only to be immediately followed by the original behavior -- connects to an outside address port 80 (not always the same address, mind you), followed by two different high-numbered ports opened and listening.

There is a strange registry key in /HKEY/LOCAL.../Run and .../RunOnce which appears to be a random string, 'bzyrczu' or something similar, and the key value is 'rundll32 C:\Windows\System32:bzyrczu.dll'. Of course I can't find any file by that name by traditional means (before reading this thread on NTFS streams).

Attempting to delete the registry keys for /Run and /RunOnce appear to work, but when you go back to check, the keys have "reinstalled" themselves. Even starting up in safe mode with network unplugged, you can't delete the registry keys, even with System Restore disabled (this is an XP Home Edition box).

I plan on getting a packet capture of the beast's activity tomorrow. And assuming that the thing does exist as a stream, I'll try to capture the binary.

Jeff