Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: BIND 9.2.1 crashes

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:01:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Keith Bergen wrote:

Benjamin,

My paranoia always assumes a buffer overflow and comprimise.
BIND 9.2.1 appears to be vulnerable to a buffer overflow. I

The 9.2.1 he mentioned he's running on Red Hat 7.2 is the latest version
of that package from Red Hat...which includes backported security updates.
If there are holes in that bind, they're not known to the general public.

BTW...I've seen the same problem with bind-9.2.1-1.7x.2 on Red Hat 7.2
where named will apparently get stuck in some loop, sit in state R, and
cease answering queries until named is killed/restarted.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |