Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Probable Trojan.

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:17:09 -0800 (PST)

For checking startup locations, I'd recommend AutoRuns
from SysInternals and AutoStart Viewer from DiamondCS.

--- Brian Eckman <eckman () umn edu> wrote:
Gene wrote:

Have a buddy complaining about his AOL account
password being stolen every time he logs onto AOL
from his PC at work.  I talked him through doing an
fport on his box and he sent me the results:

<snip>

I wouldn't worry about services listening on the
machine as much as what
is running at startup. A keylogger or other password
stealer has no need
to listen on a port. It would more likely phone home
as needed.

Based on your FPort results, I assume it's Windows
2000, which doesn't
ship with MSCONFIG.EXE. I'd personally grab a copy
of MSCONFIG.EXE from
a Windows XP box and run it on the machine to get a
quick glance at most
places that malware run from to load when Windows
starts up.
(Disclaimer: I have a site license for Windows
upgrades and therefore
what I propose above should be legal in my
workplace. Your mileage may
vary.)

I know, I know, MSCONFIG doesn't show every piece of
code that launches
at startup, and you can manually go to each location
it checks to see
what is running. It's just a really quick way to
check the usual suspects...

Brian

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those
who
understand binary and those who don't."

Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in
information security
at the largest, most highly-anticipated industry
event of the year.
Don't miss RSA Conference 2004! Choose from over 200
class sessions and
see demos from more than 250 industry vendors. If
your job touches
security, you need to be here. Learn more or
register at

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/RSA_incidents_031023
and use priority code SF4.