Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Strange SNMP probes suddenly appearing

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:56:56 -0800

  Some of the HP JetDirect client/drivers, especially older versions
with default configs, like to scan their world using SNMP and query
anything that will take a connection to learn if it is a printer.
We have a few of them on our campus; we *hope* that non-obvious
community names are keeping our network equipment from spending much
time or effort talking to these clients.

  The handful of "unauthorized" airports that I know about don't
seem to attract nearly as many virus-infested clients as the public
(secured) ones....

Dave Gillett