Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS Injection Problem

From: David Conrad <david.conrad () nominum com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 17:22:49 -0700

Hi,

Unless the attacker has access to the wire DNS queries are going over, DNS cache poisoning is possible, albeit difficult to implement, particularly with BIND 9.2.2.

If the attacker does have access to the wire (e.g., via a compromised host where they can run tcpdump or equivalent), DNS cache poisoning or cache impersonation becomes trivial (see http://freshmeat.net/projects/dnshijacker/). If this is a possibility, might try moving your name server to a dedicated box on a dedicated switch port (if that is an option).

Rgds,
-drc