Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: California State Bill SB1386

From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () networkdweebs com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:21:50 -0500

  of California whose unencrypted personal information
  was, or is reasonably believed to have been, acquired
  by an unauthorized person."

It seems to me that the language used in this bill suggests that
notification would be necessary if the unencrypted information _COULD HAVE
BEEN ACQUIRED_ .... NOT that the unencrypted information itself was
_TRANSMITTED_....so to me that says if there is a reasonable chance that the
information that was stolen (even if encrypted) could be decrypted into
plain text (either via a weak encryption scheme such as ROT13 or if there's
evidence the keys were stolen as well), that it would need to be reported.

I think this clears up some of your other questions as well.

Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfihl1