Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange traffic on UDP port 53

From: "Anders Reed Mohn" <anders_rm () utepils com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:39:50 +0200

1. Using the same src_IP:port# to dst_IP:port# (as earlier provided) it
is using DNS query to PTR 48.1.1.192.in-addr.arpa

2. Then our mail server replying to the same Source IP, using ICMP (0x01)
destination unreachable.

Smells of a faulty DNS-setup, and of faulty routing.

Some machine out there thinks you have the DNS for 1.1.192.in-addr.arpa,
and is trying to resolve 48.1.1.192.in-addr.arpa through you.

At least, that's a scenario I have seen a few times.
This could be just a typo in an SOA or in the DNS-address specified
on a specific computer.

I addition, someone didn't get their routing right, 'cuz traffic to and from
242.x.x.x should not be routed to the Internet, AFAIK.

Cheers,
Anders :)