Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Windows 2k rootkit incident

From: "Drew Weaver" <drew () orbityl com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:47:58 -0400

Basically the box was locking up. I logged into it and noticed the patch
level was way behind, I immediately became suspicious and Port scanned
it, sure enough there was an FXP daemon listening on PORT 444, from
there I ran FPORT to determine the name of the file that was listening
on 444 it was secsrvc.exe, that's where I hit the brick wall, because
secsrvc.exe didn't exist, then just for kicks I did some reading about
NT rootkits and tried the 'rename' trick. So I renamed a file secsrvc,
and it vanished. Then I ascertained that something must be hiding files
with that extension from various parts of my system, so I made a new
copy of regedit, taskmgr and cmd all with the prefix secsrvr
(secsrvrregedit.exe) then I was able to see everything that was
affected, it installed itself as two services, one was called XGA and
the other one was called 'Secure Routing'. Both obvious shams.