Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2k rootkit incident, files zipped for your pleasure.

From: John Ives <jives () cchem berkeley edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:58:59 -0700

If you don't mind me asking... how did you identify these files (eg. what tools, etc).

I have a Windows hard drive that was rooted, and I've found some of the files from Linux (only having basic unix skills, I wouldn't know how to go too much farther), but I've been unable to find all of them. I would dearly love to find the install/original file, but in the mean time I would settle for the ini/config files which might tell me if I have missed any of the others. The root kit has elements of the Hacker Defender rootkit, but seems to have gone even farther.

Yours,

John