Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: mIRC Zombie, port 445

From: Sami Rautiainen <Sami.Rautiainen () F-Secure com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:15:39 +0200

Hello,

Tino Didriksen <sfo () projectjj dk> wrote at 19 Jan 2003 02:03:38 -0000:

I have observed a zombie/trojan on a zombie IRC network that apparently
infects vulnerable computers through port 445.

The backdoor uses Sysinternals' psexec tool to run itself in the destination
host. The connection is attempted several times, with a predefined list of
username and password combinations.

Further information is available in our description at:
        http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/novabot.shtml

F-Secure Anti-Virus detects the backdoor with the current updates.

Regards,
        Sami

--
Sami Rautiainen                         F-Secure Corporation
Senior Virus Researcher                 Anti-Virus Research Team

             Securing the Mobile, Distributed Enterprise