Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Curious "spam" (or broken viral payload)...

From: John Washington <jawashin () uiuc edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:38:23 -0700

        So, all things considered, am I:

        1.  looking at the output from a broken mail worm, or;
        2.  dealing with a second- or third-rate spammer who just doesn't
            know what the heck he's spewing out, or;
        3.  receiving an attempted spam mail through a broken web->mail
            gateway, or;
        4.  none of the above?

One possible addition to the list is a spammer trying to verify (I have gotten many messages from spammers selling "verified" e-mail addresses) that you are a legit address.

arro () arro ru and inform them of the time the error occurred,
I went to the arro.ru page, and from the looks I would allow the possibility that this was an attempt to verify it, and more oddly on the front page it has a link with the title "my spam CANCLED" pointing to a (seemingly) broken page.

John Washington

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com