Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Subseven 2.2 Server?

From: dataspy <dataspy () dataspy net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:04:58 +0000

Hello Nick et al,

Subseven 2.2 uses blowfish encryption to store the settings, at the
end of the server executable if i remember correctly. While in
subseven 2.1 the editserver was able to "open" and read from the
server, 2.2 did not have this feature (I think the author beleived it
added security).

I would reccomend using a packet sniffer on a machine and running the
server on that machine, and seeing if it pages an ICQ number, or joins an IRC
channel, or emails someone. Alternatively you can use something like
"memspy" or "winhex" to view the servers memory when its running :- i
think some of the settings are viewable in plain text there too.

Let me know how you go.

dataspy (dsinc)