Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Root password changed

From: sysadmin <sysadmin () wvths com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:33:34 -0500

RCS wrote:

I have no idea how the root password on my FreeBSD 4.0 system was =
changed, only I have access to it and I have only SMTP (sendmail =
8.12.1), POP3 (qpopper), apache 1.3.26 and BIND 8.2.3 . Everything else =
is restricted by ACLs at the router.

I had to enter single user mode and change it today.

I have thoroughly checked running processes and the logs and there is =
nothing suspicious.=20

Please give me your opinion on what could have caused this.=20

Thanks

--
Roberto Cardona Jr.      =20

--
Roberto Cardona Jr. IT/IS Manager Corporate Office Centers | http://www.corporateofficecenters.com

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com
Versions of sendmail, apache & BIND that you're running aren't the latest and possibly contain buffer overflows or other vulnerabilities . Maybe it's time to start patching :p ?

Also , you might want to change console line in /etc/ttys to `unsecure` as it's quite easy for someone to reboot your server into singe-user & do what you did ( i.e. change the root passwd back ) .