Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Identity theft scam against eBay users

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:46:39 +1300

Patrick Bryant <pi () pbryant com> wrote:

I've been trying to advise eBay all day, since it's their name
that's being exploited, but all of my calls and emails have fallen
into a blackhole.

Whilst it might be "nice" of you to inform eBay (I'm sure they see
dozens of these a month and really don't care that much) you should
really be informing the upstream hosting company of the fraudsters,
possibly _their_ upstream as well (lots of "small-fry" hosting
companies don't give a ^*%$ what their clients are doing so long as
they pay their bills, whereas the bulk hosting companies they buy
from tend to be a tad more concerned and will kill boxes/IPs much
more quickly), _AND_ the DNS hosts (in such scams it is common to
find the DNS is hosted other than by the hosting company).  Also, as
the complainant was apparently in the US, the local police and/or FBI
"high tech crimes" folk should be involved too.

It now appears that the attackers are playing a shell game with
the redirector site. Even though the site that receives the
victim's post (bayers.netfirms.com) has been shut down, now the
attackers are redirecting to at least one different site for
receiving the posts.

Get their DNS provider(s) to realize that by hosting and changing
this scum's DNS entries they are aiding and abetting a fraud that the
FBI is investigating (OK -- so don't tell the DNS host that you
simply left a message on the after-hours message service) and see how
quickly the DNS providers act...

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.