Security Incidents mailing list archives

Netbios Name Scans/opaserv worm

From: rocky_scotti () na dole com
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:49:07 -0800

Recently I have seen an increase in the amount of netbios name scans from
internal hosts to what appears to be random public and/or private
addresses. In one case we found the w32.opaserv.worm and cleaned, but the
scans continued. In other cases antivirus software found nothing. My
question to the group is:

Is there any legitimate reason for these types of random netbios name
scans, or any netbios name scan for that matter? Also, does anyone know if
there is any way to remotely detect this worm on a machine without running
a local virus scan?

Thanks and Regards
Rocky Scotti
Sr. Network Engineer