Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DoS Attacks, Detecting the Source, and Service Providers

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:44:06 -0800 (PST)

Hamid,

Maybe a newbie question, but I was wondering if
back-tracing packets to its
source is a service provider requirement? I mean if
one of my hosts is being
attacked, for example a simple ICMP DoS attack, what
could I do if the service provider doesn't
cooperate?

Requirement?  Not hardly.  If you're experiencing an
attack, you can (a) configure your own systems
(routers, f/ws) to protect against it, and (b) *ask*
your ISP to do the same.

I was wondering if there are certain procedures to
detect the source of attacks?

What attacks?  Things like ICMP DoS and even UDP-based
attacks like Slammer are relatively easy to
spoof...TCP-based attacks (except for things like SYN
flooding) are more difficult.