Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible new backdoor: mspx-smss.exe ?

From: Sven Pechler <helpdesk () tm tue nl>
Date: 26 Feb 2003 21:19:15 -0000

Hello,

In the previous thread about this subject, I posted a list of files that
were placed on a 'hacked' Windows 2000 computer in our network.
Among these files were a wingate engine (mspx-smss.exe), a watchdog
program to restart a service (mspx-sw.exe) and a very
sophisticated 'stealth' program (mspxss.exe) that can hide processes and
hide files in NTFS disks.
The main purpose of these files is to create a proxy server that can be
used by hackers for DDOS attacks or to obscure their original IP-address.

I got a lot of reactions about these files. McAfee/Network Associates have
named it: Backdoor-AQM and it will be included in their DAT-file: 4251.
Kaspersky labs have sent me an analysis of the mspxss.exe file. They will
include it also in their next update.

I would thank all who helped me to get this mystery solved. For those who
are also eager to analyse these files themselves, I've compiled some
information and placed them on a web-page:

A quick report I wrote (not quite plain HTML, because I used MS-Word):
http://members.chello.nl/s.pechler/Backdoor_stealth_proxy_server.htm

The files can be found in the following ZIP-file (password=infected):
http://members.chello.nl/s.pechler/mspx-smss-trojan.zip

Regards,

Sven Pechler
University of Technlogy Eindhoven
Faculty of Technology Management

<Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
Take back your personal time.
15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
<A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure";> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>