Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange servicepack.exe file (not service.exe) found.

From: "dreamwvr () dreamwvr com" <dreamwvr () dreamwvr com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:01:33 -0700

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:35:35AM -0800, David Gillett wrote:
  Paradoxically, I find many Linux admins perversely prone
to trying to do minimal cleanup to a box that is found to
be compromised, without much effort to discover what *else*
has been done to the box in its "compromised, but not yet
detected" state, a period for which records such as local
logs cannot be trusted.  (Did the discovered compromise
balderdash. I have yet to meet the Linux or BSD admin including
myself whom ever 'just' removes what they think is tainted.
0r -T if you like. At the bare minimum anyone doing *NIX will
wipe the hardrive completely clean and start from a known
clean state and or backup. This sounds too much like windows
techno babble switcheroo for my taste. Some_do tend to
freeze the drive for forensic analysis:) however they do not
tend to 'ever' be so "perversely prone to do a minimal cleanup.."
Basic compromise 101 in NIX world is to wipe the drive clean
and go from there with all applied patches unplugged from the network.

Regards,
dreamwvr () dreamwvr com

--
/*  Security is a work in progress - dreamwvr                 */
#                               48 69 65 72 6F 70 68 61 6E 74 32