Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: udp and dst port 1026

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () pt-net net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:03:03 -0800

Hi Cedric,

Good work! Evidence trumps speculation any day of the week <g>.

But, even if you're right that this traffic is intended as pop-up spam, the traffic volume is high enough to present annoyance to some folks. And, recent DShield data shows that the traffic sources and targets are rising exponentially. So, this spam may turn out to be far from harmless.

Moreover, recent changes in the scanning pattern suggest that the sources are under central control. And there's this to consider: if I wrote a scanner for the Windows Messenger vulnerability, I'd very likely disguise my scans as Messenger pop-ups. Presumably, candidate authors of Windows Messenger worms are no less sneaky than I <g>.

So, though your evidence is weighty, I myself can't say that it dismisses the issue.

Cheers,