Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMTP probes

From: Christine Kronberg <Christine_Kronberg () genua de>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:28:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Rich Puhek wrote:

Has anyone else noticed an upswing in port 25 probes over the last few days?

I'm seeing fairly large quantities of connections to port 25 (on the
order of one every several seconds) with no real SMTP transations
(logged by sendmail as "... did not issue MAIL/XPN/VRFY/ETRN during
connection to MTA")

  I don't see any increase. This kind of connnection comes by
  each couple of days.

Perhaps somethings probing for servers vulnerable to the recent sendmail
problems?

  Bannergrabbing seems possible.

  Cheers,

                                                         Chris.

--
GeNUA mbH

<b>
Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents2
Download your free fully functional
trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.
</b>