Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Huge Autoexec.bat

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:35:22 +1200

"Matthew S Barnes" <btc1 () alltel net> wrote:

Hi all we were working on a system the other day at a client's who called us
in to fix a downed domain controller, his system was blue screening and so
we got there and started poking around the system, we noticed something
weird and wanted to ask if anyone had seen it before. I hadnt ever ...
His autoexec.bat was huuge 26 megabytes to be exact. Now this computer was
<<snip>>
The autoexec.bat file was full of script's and code and also some old emails
of his from years ago and we never got time to go thru the whole thing just
enuff to make me think it was a total compromise of his system.....

from what you have said and without the benefit of seeing the file
myself (and no -- please don't Email it to me!), the most likely
reason for what you saw is file system corruption.  This also ties in
with unexplained BSODs and so on.  It _may_ be indicatve of
(impending) hardware failure.

Further, you presented absolutely no evidence suggesting a "hack".

Maybe the threat to not pay you for "wasting time" shows your client
was wiser than you think...

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.