Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Q328691 ?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 12:45:23 +1200

Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net> to "H C":

Increase in attacks?  How so?

My idea is this...the alert says absolutely nothing of
use.

I can't help but wonder who these mystery victims are, other than the one
mentioned in a writeup I read earlier. I suspect that the victims in this
case may very well be MS corporate systems, otherwise one would think that
we would have heard more about it in public forums.

If you can bear exposing yourself to it, look into some of the
microsoft.public.*virus* and microsoft.public.*win*security*
newsgroups and look for threads with "[m]irc" and/or "secedit" in
the Subject: lines.

Should give you a feeling for the "mystery victims".

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.