Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: E-Card Remote Code Execution Scam

From: Jeff Jirsa <jeff () unixconsults com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:

This seems an aweful lot to me like a Remote Code Execution Scam...

I received an email addressed to "Undisclosed Recipients" notifying me
that I received an E-Card today, so I went to the site
http://www.surprisecards.net/viewcard.htm?id_num=[Undisclosed]&card=Pick
+up to view the card.  Oddly, I received a security warning asking me if
I wanted to allow some code to run on my machine.  Noticing the odd
choice of form variables as opposed to other e-card sites (not to
mention the fact that I could type in any number and get the same
screen), and with an eyebrow now raised I went to the main website
http://www.surprisecards.net to find "Welcome to the future home of
richardoliver.web.aplus.net".  So I figure, if there's no way to send a
card from this website then chances are nobody sent me a valid card.

I took a look at the Thawte certificate for the card viewer "code" and
got www.cytron.com, some no-name development website with nothing more
than a phone number.

At the moment I'm not in front of any sacrificial machine to test the
card out on, but I suspect this email is being mailed out as a scam in
an attempt to run arbitrary code on the user's machine using a valid
Thawte certificate.  What the code does when it loads I've no idea as
I'm not dumb enough to try it on my home machine.

Perhaps someone in front of some extra hardware can take this and roll
with it.

The source of the page contains an object tag:

codebase="e-card_viewer.cab#version=1,0,0,1"

Obtaining that file and running strings reveals the following of interest:

1) There are numerous references to both thawte and verisign certificates
2) There is a reference to potd.dll
3) There are references to "Cytron"

A google search for "potd.dll" returns the following page:

http://and.doxdesk.com/parasite/Cytron.html

From that page:

Description
Cytron is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object. It scans the content
of pages being viewed for keywords and opens pop-up advertising when they
are detected.

Also known as
POTD, after the filename and BHO name; Burnaby, the internal object name;
TargetingSource, the name used to describe the control in Downloaded
Program Files.

Distribution
Installed by ActiveX drive-by download on a page pointed to by mail
claiming you have received an 'e-card'. The ActiveX control purports to be
a viewer for e-cards.

There you have it, adware.

- Jeff

 --