Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Re: Odd sendmail behavior

From: Nigel Frankcom <nigel () blue-canoe net>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 21:32:03 +0100

Just a thought....
Could it be a probe for a webmail interface?

On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:07:29 -0700, you wrote:

At 9/5/2002 11:34 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I saved a full session of one of the attempts on my local machine (seven
packets worth) from ethereal. There was also an initial attempt to validate
as user "tcpwrappers" which I found a bit odd. Those are the only things
beyond log entries, and of course the packets are incomplete (since the
attempts were blocked). The odd and unique thing is that the initial
payload was:

GET http://www.yahoo.com/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.yahoo.com
Accept: */*
Pragma: no-cache

That looks like someone scanning for a proxy server.  Typically these scans
are limited to ports 80, 1080, 3128, and 8080, but maybe somebody has found
a reason to look for proxy servers on SMTP ports.

Michael Katz
mike () procinct com
Procinct Security