Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Linux Slapper Worm and Linksys

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:30:29 -0600 (MDT)

Unless the Linksys runs a service on tcp/443 (or udp/2002 perhaps), I
doubt it's the same problem.

With the Cisco 675s, I believe their http implementation had it's own
overflows and was knocked out by the requests.

In this case, it's more likely that the poor Linksys got crushed by the
load of scanning. An old 2518 we have still in service showed almost 90%
of available memory consumed by the worm. It also increased cpu
utilization from 3% to over 50%, and caused a noticeable increase in
interface errors on both LAN and WAN ports in another case.

Mike