Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Why can I see other traffic at switch environment just tcpdump?

From: Darryl Luff <dluff () iitscdm com au>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:26:44 +1000

SB CH wrote:

I have operated linux server at switch environment,
and just with tcpdump, I can see some other traffic whic is not
related with me without any other tool or trick.

it means that I can sniff traffic without special sniffing tool at the
switch , right? is it possible?
but it's ture.

Without the use of special tools (hunt etc) switches will send traffic
to ports the destination is NOT on in a few different circumstances.
- You're on a monitor port that has been set to receive copies of other
traffic (so you'll receive all traffic to/from ports that are being
monitored),
- The switch doesn't know which port a destination device is on so it
sends (floods) the packet out all ports (so you should only see the
first couple of packets in a connection),
- The bridging table of the switch is full so it gives up and floods the
traffic (so your reception could be unreliable).
- Changing spanning tree topologies.
- All switches seem to leak a bit so you do see the odd packet you
shouldn't. Probably more likely if it's busy???

and probably others. Switches filter traffic for performance reasons,
any security benefits are a (very) small unreliable bonus.

for example,
# tcpdump port 80
15:03:42.681171 eth0 P 211.47.130.114.1131 > 211.47.1.55.www: S my
system has no relations with 211.47.130.114 or 211.47.1.55.
just switch connected together with 211.47.1.55.

Darryl Luff
dluff () iitscdm com au