Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: W2K Compromise - PipeCmdSrv

From: <sfuston () blomand net>
Date: 20 Oct 2002 17:51:40 -0000

Ok, well i dont usually do this, post any info ive collected but I am
tryin to find information back as well. I too had an experience with the
PipeCmdSvr, and im still not sure exactly how it came on my machine. I am
running win2k Pro.

I downloaded this program called MYIE, an overlay for the IE web browser.
During some of my searches I kept getting chinese web sites in my tabs. I
was just playing around with some of the settings and when i clicked on
the Resource button a prompt came up that said "some sites may not work
well without the chinese language pack installed" "Do you want to install
the chinese language pack" . Well I did. I know I know, are you crazy man?
lol At any rate, it proceeded to install something. Then I got a message
from win2k saying that some files would be over written , did i want to
continue. Well obviously I responded no, but it would not let me click no,
the only way to gain access again to my desktop was to click yes, which i
did. When my machine rebooted, it was much much slower than it had been.
Subsequent reboots had this litte mirc window coming up on reboot, and
while I had used mirc in the past, I had not reloaded since I had done a
new install of Win2k.  Thats what got me interested , so I looked in Task
Manager to see what was running, and thats when i ran across the
Explored.exe program running. Now I am no programmer or a Windows guru ,
but in 8 years of using windows software Im no novice either. That threw
up a flag so i investigated farther. In doing a search for Explored.exe
online I came up with the http://golcor.tripod.com/gtbot.htm site, and I
was able to determine what i had, a trojan no less. Now I wanted to know
how and where I got it. Obviously it had came from downloading the chinese
language pack, but was it a MyIE program or did i have a bootlegged
program. Well to make this long story short, I looked for other MyIE
download sites and found one that I deemed to be safe and installed it. I
cant get this one to ask me for the chinese language pack download, so i
can only assume that I had gotten a hacked program to start with. Also the
MyIE executable on the bogus file was 750k and on the last one i installed
it was only 450 k. I am assuming thats how I got it. I did have a mirror
that I made a week ago so just to be safe I put that back on after
renaming all the infected files and moving them into a folder on another
drive.

I still wanted to investigate further, so I started looking inside some of
the mirc files that goes along with this trojan. From some of the
information gathered I found a "report to " location. Dalnet. Channel
#Iamowned. I went there and there were about 12 nicks in the room with the
Owned(#####) nicks , im guessing bots.

When I reinstalled my mirror, I put Zone Alarm back on as I have a static
ip and was a tad worried that someone had my ip number. Over the next
couple of hours I got repeated hits (more than 30) from a site
66.28.140.212, each time at differnt ports including telnet. In looking
this up I found that this ip was registered to Cogent Communications. Not
sure how Im going to proceed from here. This is the first time Ive been
hacked in 9 years online.

Im sure this trojan can be enabled in other ways, but just wanted to let
you know that in this instance I think the MyIE was how it came to rest on
my machine. Unless I have some big problems with it, I am going to
continue to use this program as it is almost an identical user interface
as opera but using the IE web browser shell.

I did save all the files that was a part of the trojan program after
renaming the extensions, and if anyone would like to have one or all of
them I would be happy to send them on.