Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: HTTP attack looking for /sumthin ?

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:06:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Patrick Oonk wrote:

Add the lines

      ServerTokens prod
      ServerSignature no

to your Apache config (httpd.conf) to prevent the server from disclosing
this information.

ServerTokens ProductOnly
# Optionally add a line containing the server version and virtual host
# name to server-generated pages (error documents, FTP directory listings,
# mod_status and mod_info output etc., but not CGI generated documents).
# Set to "EMail" to also include a mailto: link to the ServerAdmin.
# Set to one of:  On | Off | EMail
ServerSignature Off

According to the build in instructions, online manual and FAQ.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ-E.html#serverheader
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html

But do not expect to gain much security.

Hugo.

--
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
            for they are subtle and quick to anger.