Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DoS and Windows Login

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:40:04 -0600

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 02:16:34PM -0700, Nicholas C. Weaver wrote:
UC Berkeley runs a fairly open network (*GASP*, no firewall).

Lately, many users have been experiencing a minor but annoying DOS
attack: The windows system's authentication procedures, after X failed
password tries, locks out the account for 30 minutes.  Someone or some
group is doing large scale password guessing which is resulting in
many users being unable to log in in the morning, until this timeout
passes.

Question:  Have those in other universities or other generally open
computing environments noticed a similar trend?  Is this the work of
an attacker trying to brute-force passwords or a deliberate DOS
attempt?

There has been quite the rash of it on my campus.  From what I have
seen it is "only" trying to brute-force the passwords.  A few of our
machines with "unchallanging" Administrator passwords have been turned
into DVD movie servers.

That lock-outs happen is a side effect.  Possibly an amussing side
effect (from the crackers point of view), but a side effect non the
less.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         I should be biking right now.   Computer Science