Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Unicode Attack (FOLLOW UP)

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:50:36 -0700

Jeremy Junginger wrote:

Interesting how they "are not able to investigate SPAM or abuse reports
relating to these ranges."  Looks like a perfect place for a zombie.
Thoughts?  What would you do?

APNIC can't investigate because they don't control the end systems where the abuse originates. APNIC is the regional registry in charge of assigning IP space to all networks in the Asia-Pacific region (including Australia and New Zealand).

Redirecting your query to whois.apnic.net as the ARIN whois suggests should yield the proper address to send your lart.

I normally use geektools ipwhois because it will recurse the queries for me as needed in most cases:

$ whois -h whois.geektools.com 210.201.100.253
Query:     210.201.100.253
Registry:  whois.apnic.net
Results:
% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% How to use this server        http://www.apnic.net/db/
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum:      210.201.100.128 - 210.201.100.255
netname:      CMEF-HT-AP
descr:        Chen Mei Fen Co.
descr:        B1, No.30-20, Wen-Hua Rd., Min-Xiong Country,
descr:        Jia-Yi County, Taiwan, R.O.C.
country:      TW
admin-c:      MC498-AP
tech-c:       MC498-AP
mnt-by:       MAINT-TW-APOL
changed:      adm () ht net tw 20020531
status:       ASSIGNED NON-PORTABLE
source:       APNIC
changed:      hm-changed () apnic net  20020827

person:       Mei-Fen Chen
address:      B1, No.30-20, Wen-Hua Rd., Min-Xiong Country,
address:      Jia-Yi County, Taiwan, R.O.C.
country:      TW
phone:        +886-5-2062845
fax-no:       +886-5-2062845
e-mail:       spam () apol com tw