Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 030 igetnet ignkeywords

From: "J. Foobar" <jfoobar1 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 02:39:17 -0800 (PST)

I have recently detected a few internal machines being
solicited to download a file called
"Internet.Explorer.Browser.Security.Upgrade.exe"

I perform a parse of proxy logs looking for .exe
downloads by users in my enterprise periodically
(maybe 3 times a week) and I have just noticed this
for the first time a few days ago in the 3-4 months I
have been doing this.

I have a close look at the traffic of the one internal
dolt stupid enough to actually download the file.  He
was surfing animatedgif.com, which is pop-up and
cookie hell, and was probably solicited to download
this by the IP 216.40.225.62, which serves some sort
of "Keyword Tracking" function and is an IP assigned
to Everyones Internet, Inc (ev1.net, Texas).

I wonder if they are related, at least conceptually.

I have not yet had a chance to examine the end user's
machine and I do not yet know if he was silly enough
to actually run the .exe.

Regards,
Justin

--- "Waitman C. Gobble" <waitman () emkdesign com> wrote:
Hello

I have found more information regarding my original
030.com post.

The machine that is infected is running Windows XP
Professional with all
service packs and hotfixes.

Additionally, it is running Norton Antivirus 2003
with the latest
database, and the machine checks clean.

There is a file running on boot:

C:\WINDOWS\WinStart.exe (the date of this file is
November 11, 2002)

The file properties indicate that it originates from
IGetNet, LLC. The
whois information shows that this is the owner of
ignkeywords.com

Also, this file exists:
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\WINSTART.EXE-2C11637C.pf.

It's date and time reflect the last time the machine
was booted. Please
note that I am not sure what this file is, but it
seems to relate.

The machine now seems to go to ignkeywords.com,
however sometimes it
goes to 030.com, which is what we originally
observed.

The WinStart file is labelled as a "Browser Upgrade"
in the file
properties thingy.

Thanks and Best

Waitman Gobble
EMK Design
Buena Park, California
+1.7145222528

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
analyzer service.
For more information on this free incident handling,
management
and tracking system please see:
http://aris.securityfocus.com