Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Help - a possible bot

From: "Moshe Aelion" <ma0934 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:15:24 +0200

HC

Referring to parts of your message:

"However, the fact that your system is responding would be indicative of
something else, possibly w/ your ZA installation".
What do you mean by that, and how can I confirm/disprove it?

Also, since your logs don't show an ICMP port unreachable response (your
system sent out a UDP datagram), that would indicate that, in fact, >the
source IPs are NOT spoofed.
The source addresses are completely random, and they turn up absolutely
nothing in a  reverse resolution and WHOIS queries. In fact, this is
happening only with the source IP addresses of the probes to which the PC is
trying to respond; the other probes, ignored by the PC, have a resolved host
name (you can see it in the ZA log attached). I think this is very
suspicious - in fact, it's a pretty unique and discernible behavior - is
anyone familiar with a bot/Trojan behaving this way?

Is there anything besides the traffic you posted that would lead you to
believe that you had something installed on your system?
Like I mentioned above: 1. The immediate response attempt to the probe; and
2. The fact that when the Internet is on-line, the explorer and svchost
processes are constantly active, with I/O of 25-30 kbps. This ceases when I
go off-line.

Is this behavior similar to any known bot infection?

Thanks in advance

Moshe