Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Got 'em. (was "Re: gw.ocg-corp.com")

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 00:57:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Chip McClure wrote:

I don't have any luck finding out any info on ocg-corp.com either. :(
I've got a few of the hits in my webserver logs, the same as you. My
guess, someone's spoofing the reverse dns on it. Kinda sounds like
someone is doing some very hard spidering on your site.

      My experiment paid off.  I figured the spider would goof at some
point and cough up the IP address and I was happy to find this was true.

hostresolving in apache is not recommended (understatement!!).