Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Win2000 machine.

From: Patrick Andry <pandry () wolverinefreight ca>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:05:26 -0400

As a side note, use the diskette option as a last resort. They are by no means as reliable as a cd, as a diskette written by one pc may show up with unreadable sectors in another, and be virtually unreadable in yet another. Invest in a good quality burner, and even then, test your toolkit disks on a variety of hardware. A cd burned at 8x on my burner is not always readable in other drives, but a slow-cooked one has no problems.

H C wrote:

Mark,

Since fport.exe isn't native to any MS system, you'd
have to get it from the 'net someplace.  The thing to
do (and I do this in the IR course I teach) would be
to burn your tools to a CD.  If you can't do that,
then you can put them on a diskette and write-protect
it.

HTH.

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com