Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: continues SCAN Proxy attempt

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: 27 May 2002 12:32:12 +1200

On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 08:18, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
Hi,

For over two day I am being probed by a specific IP adres as shown in this
small sample:

May 24 22:08:04 vigor kernel: Packet log: if-inet DENY ppp0 PROTO=6
209.134.35.55:3904 213.84.18.35:1080 L=48 S=0x00 I=11804 F=0x4000 T=106
SYN (#36)
May 24 22:08:04 vigor snort[6198]: [1:615:1] SCAN Proxy attempt
[Classification: Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2]: {TCP}
209.134.35.55:3904 -> 213.84.18.35:1080

This occured about 1500 times in a periode of 2 days and 4 hours.

I have yet not received any response from the owner of the netblock.

Anyone else seen any similar activities from this netblock?

No, nothing here.

Is it possible that this is some charley with a misconfigured socks
client.  If they are repeatedly trying to connect to the same address
this possibility springs to mind.  We use a socks proxy here on campus
and every now and again someone takes their laptop overseas and then
can't figure out why the networking no longer works and we see streams
of attempts on 1080 at our firewall...