Security Incidents mailing list archives

AW: nouser - rootkit ?

From: vogt () hansenet com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:21:27 +0100

I am just curious about the "red herring"-part of the story and the
term "real rootkit"...

I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing
bogus-rootkits in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list

detected such kind of "feints"?

Not directly, but I have found multiple rootkits installed on a compromised
server late last year. I can think of a number of reasons why the attacker
would want to install more than one, but staying in control even if one is
discovered is surely a plausible option.

On the other hand, this strikes me as a very dumb move. If the sysadmin is
bright enough to find the rootkit, I sure do hope that he also realizes that
the only way to a clean system is through a full reinstall.