Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Rcon trojan

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:16:20 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Owen Creger wrote:

It appears one of our NT boxes has been compromised, and is running the rcon
trojan, port 8989
Does anyone know how to clean up the mess, or do I need to rebuild the box?

I suggest you follow SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) as if your
hardware was lost.

 - Unplug the machine from any network.
 - Rebuild the OS from a clean media whiping out all disks.
 - Reinstall releavant applications.
 - Install all fixes and harden the box.
 - Reload data from backup media.
 - Verify the machine is now resiliant to all known attacks.

Only AFTER you complete te last step should you bring the system back to
the network.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/