Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Attacks on GRC.com

From: Vern Paxson <vern () icir org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:24:58 -0800

One issue with reflective DDoS attacks is that traditional IP Traceback
protocols usually only send the itrace messages either to the destination
IP or along with the packet, which means that the reflectors, not
the victim, get the itrace messages about the path(s) to the actual
attacker.  The topic came up in that class I took about perhaps sending
the itrace messages to both the source and destination IPs, which
would send itrace messages to the victim in reflective DDoS (since
the spoofed source IP is the victim's along the path from the attacker
to the reflector), but could also lead to increased traffic depending
on implementation.  I am not sure if this idea is being researched
at the moment.

See my paper:

        An Analysis of Using Reflectors for Distributed Denial-of-Service
        Attacks, V. Paxson, Computer Communication Review 31(3), July 2001.

        http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/reflectors.CCR.01/index.html

- Vern