Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New script-kiddie looking scan

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () wittsend com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:12:52 -0400

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:36:12PM -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
I don't think I made myself clear when...

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Jeff Kell wrote:

I'm noticing a growing number of scans of four ports (1433, 8000, 3128,
and 8080, in succession from increasing source ports).  These are
MS-SQL, WinAmp, Ring Zero, and HTTP proxy.

The individual scans are nothing new and rather well-known.  What DOES
bother me is the pattern -- those four ports are scanned, in succession,
within a second or two, and it moves on to another host.  And this same
4-port-scan sequence I have seen from various geographic sources.  What
are the odds that all those scans, in that sequence, are coincidence?
Slim to none, I'd wager; it sounds like either a new scanning tool or,
worse still, some new worm trying to propagate itself through exploits
based on those ports.

        I'm seeing patterns of 1080 (socks), 3128 (squid), and 8080
(httpdproxy) in almost equal numbers in my daily summary reports (haven't
done a correlation yet to match IP addresses but the numbers are
awfully suspicious).  As far as 1433 goes, those numbers swamp the other
three so it's hard to say.

Jeff

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw () WittsEnd com
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/