Security Incidents mailing list archives

DOS by Flooding a Network

From: "Richard Ginski" <rginski () co pinellas fl us>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:24:42 -0400

This past weekend, we experienced the periodic flooding of our network.
The flooding caused our network to be inaccessible. The traffic has
mainly been ICMP: large quantities of large spoofed packets...similar to
"ping-of-death. Appropriate patching has been applied so the actual
attach does not shut anything down. However, it does succeed in flooding
of our network rendering it inaccessible.

We are trying to figure out a way, if any, to mitigate this attack from
flooding our network in the future. We tried to coordinate with our ISP
upstream but they say they can't do anything....and we feel sending
resets on our end would be useless and ineffective. We are trying to
figure out a way to eliminate the "choke point" or "bottle neck" when
the attacks occur. I feel we should be able to do something better than
just "weathering the storm".

Any suggestions?

TIA